About United Lutheran Seminary
A seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA), United Lutheran Seminary (ULS) is a single school with two campuses. We are the newest graduate and professional school in theological education with the deepest roots. Today, we have over 300 students that represent over 25 denominations. Our students take classes on our Philadelphia and Gettysburg campuses, and through our online learning platform. Our student body is both grounded in our Lutheran tradition and enriched by our ecumenical partners. Our approximately 4,000 alumni reflect this diversity.
United Lutheran Seminary Mission Statement:
Unifying, Learning, Serving: United Lutheran Seminary is a welcoming and diverse learning community equipping people to proclaim the living Gospel for a changing church and world.
The Director of Alumni Relations is a member of the Advancement Staff that works in partnership with Lifelong Learning, Church Relations and Communications to build strong relationships and engagement opportunities for alumni from the Lutheran Theological Seminaries at Philadelphia and Gettysburg, now United Lutheran Seminary.
We seek a candidate who can travel to where our alumni are located and is able to identify and utilize the gifts and resources our alumni bring to ministry. The ideal candidate is passionate about understanding the multiplicity of our historical institutional narratives to inform the work of the future. The candidate should also be a bridge-builder -- comfortable working with and among a group that represent a diverse population (gender understanding/expression, sexual orientation, race, geography, judicatory, year of graduation, program of study, roster of service, and age). In addition, the candidate will be an active and intentional listener as well as an exceptional storyteller.
· Communicate in a timely and transparent fashion to our alumni base, using multiple social media platforms, e-mail, and mass mailings to promote the ongoing mission and ministry of ULS.
· Support The United Lutheran Seminary Alumni Association (TULSAA).
· Develop and lead a robust engagement strategy for alumni, which includes creating and mobilizing local alumni chapters throughout the country in partnership with TULSAA.
· Develop and promote more lifelong opportunities for alumni serving in a diversity of ministerial settings, in partnership with Lifelong Learning.
· Share stories that highlight alumni leadership across our expansive alumni network, in partnership with Communications and Church Relations.
· Travel extensively to meet with alumni in order to inform alumni engagement strategy.
· Demonstrable passion for overall mission of ULS and the histories of Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (LTSP) and Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg (LTSG)
· Proficiency in multiple social media platforms
· Excellent public speaking skills
· Exceptional written communication and proofreading skills
· Experience and familiarity with the ELCA
· Experience and familiarity developing ecumenical partnerships, especially with denominations represented at our institution
· Entrepreneurial spirit that can lead programmatic initiatives independently
· Ability to work collaboratively with staff, faculty, and students throughout the Seminary, especially including a strong understanding of how Advancement and Alumni Relations can function in partnership at the institution
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING
Bachelor’s degree with a major in marketing, public relations or related field. Theological Graduate degree Preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5– 7 years
Work Location: Flexible
Reports to: Vice President for Advancement
When expressing interest for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter to HR@ULS.edu