ULS Chapel Welcome Statement:
“Our worship life is foundational to all that we are and do. Our beautiful chapels are sacred spaces providing safe spaces where each of us will find a welcome, regardless of who we are; and where all of us together will offer radical hospitality to one another and the world. Further, in keeping with Lutheran practice, we value ecumenical partnerships and relationships with Christians of many denominations and traditions."
The Church of the Abiding Presence, the ULS Gettysburg chapel, was built during the early 1940s. Ground was broken on August 1, 1940 and the dedication service was May 13, 1942.
This was the first building on this campus to be erected facing west, rather than east like all other buildings on campus at that time. This was done largely because the government road (built in 1895) through campus was bringing everybody to the Seminary’s back doors!
Today, the chapel is home to student-led Chapel services, as well as special events including Music, Gettysburg! concerts.